The Methodist Church was the first church of any denomination in Dallas County and was organized in 1838-1839 in the log school house in Buffalo. In 1863 the courthouse was burned as a part of the many skirmishes along the Springfield and Warsaw road. The Methodist Church was then used by the court until July 30, 1864, when the church was burned. The church was rebuilt southwest of the square.
In 1889, our present brick church was erected at a cost of slightly more than $10,000. The plans for the church were drawn in St. Louis, and it was considered one of the outstanding buildings in SW Missouri at that time.
Some of the interesting details are: the black bricks that form a trim around the outside of the church were hand-dipped by members of the congregation; the ceiling in the sanctuary and the floor both are in the form of a cross; the original stain on the ceiling has never been refinished; there were originally four Star of David windows, one of which was replaced by the present Jesus window.
Through the years changes were made in the church.
In 1953 plans were drawn to add an annex to the south of the sanctuary. This is the area that presently includes the offices and restrooms. In 1966 plans were drawn for an addition for both classroom and dining hall space. The building was completed in May of 1967 and occupied immediately.
In 2005, plans were finalized for a building to the south of the existing building. The Family Life Center was consecrated in 2006.
All of the accomplishments of the Buffalo United Methodist Church can be attributed to the dedication of its members both past and present. We have inherited a beautiful historic church and are striving to meet present and future needs.
Buffalo United Methodist Church
Copyright © 2021 Buffalo United Methodist Church - All Rights Reserved.